Wednesday 20 October 2010

1st Tutorial - Teresa and Karem

Tutorial 1: 13th October 2010

19:00 Introductions: Tutors/Students


Tutors:
Karem Roitman-
Hi, I am Karem Roitman. I completed my DPhil and MPhil in Development Studies at the University of Oxford. My background political sociology, economics and a bit of anthropology. I am interested in processes of social exclusion and political ideas and I absolutely love this course, love teaching it, and really enjoy OU students - a really bright, really engaged group :)

I am a full time lecturer at Regent's College at the moment, so I find it difficult to reply to e-mails as quickly as I wish I could, but I always do reply so please feel free to be in touch (kroitman@gmail.com), and let me know if you want to chat so we can arrange a mutually convenient time.


Teresa Ashe-
Hi, I’m Teresa Ashe. I’m studying for a PhD in the Politics of Climate Change and my background is in philosophy, economics and global politics. I currently teach DU311: Earth in Crisis, an international environmental politics course at the OU, but this is my first year teaching DD306.

I work from home so I will usually reply to e-mail t.ashe@open.ac.uk or text 07772857928 fairly quickly. Please let me know in advance if you want to discuss extension of TMA deadlines and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Students: Name/background/why you are doing this course/something memorable about you


19:15 Review of course structure

a) 6 room, each with a topic
b) over-arching theme and educational goals
i. living ideas
ii. creating and supporting your own response to TMA questions.
c) Substitutions - not allowed for No. 3 and 6
d) Grading –
i.50% TMAs, 50% ECA
ii. Monitoring, appeals - you are free to appeal grades you think are unfair or to ask for greater clarification on any mark comment. Please also note that all of our marking is monitored to ensure we are marking fairly and at the OU standard.
iii. Hard copies - please ask tutor before submitting a hard copy of a TMA.
iv. Extension policies- Extensions will be allowed as needed by students, to a maximum of a possible 21 total days across the course. (If you obtain a one week extension for TMA 01 then you have 14 days of extension left that you can use later in the course if you need them.)You must contact the tutor and inform them you will need an extension beforehand, though and assignments turned in late will be graded with the following assignment.
e) Good TMAs
i. Structure – depth vs. breadth - TMAs are about your ideas. They are not meant to be simply a summary of all you have read.
ii. Plagiarism - don't do it!
iii. Length - 10% over or under will be penalized. Tutor might stop reading essays once they reach word limit.
iv. Citations - make sure you follow the guidance in the Entry Room
v. Editing, and editing, and re-editing - this is the only way to ensure your TMAs make sense and get your points across.
vi. Please do not e-mail TMAs to tutors
f) Purpose of tutorials
i. provide a space for you to discuss ideas in a different way
ii. not a place for lectures
iii. questions discussed in tutorials and any other information will be posted in course blog www.DD306.blogspot.com
iv. structure of tutorials:
Open questions, discussion, last 30minutes to be used by students to discuss TMA question among themselves.

19:30 Entry room discussion
Group questions (1): How is the idea of 'healthy living'/'fertility'/'art' political? What ideas are not political?
Share answers with whole group
Question for whole group:
Do most people perceive these ideas as political?
Why/why not?
What is it that makes these ideas political?
Group questions (2): What were the main political ideas affecting how we understood the war in Iraq when it started?
Why do these matter?
Group questions (3): What are the main political ideas affecting society now? Why do these matter?
Group questions (4): What is the difference between political ideas in the broad and narrow sense?

20:30 Discussion of TMA

21:00 Finish

No comments:

Post a Comment